View my teaching statement here
Guided Research Experience
Research Co-Mentor, Spring 2014-present
- Mentored three undergraduate students completing research for their Honors’ Theses with Dr. Storkel.
- Mentored two graduate students in completing research experiences.
- Trained students in research methods, data collection and data analysis.
- Met with students weekly and communicated via email to discuss the various stages and procedures of the project.
Graduate Research Assistant—KAW Story Project (DC012824), 2013-Present
- Conducted standardized assessments and carried out research protocols with study participants.
- Worked cooperatively with the research team to refine research protocols based on pilot information and experience.
- Developed materials for use in data collection and processing.
- Developed and prepared testing and treatment materials.
Graduate Teaching Assistant—Applied English Center, 2012-2013
- Taught “Reading and Writing for the Academic Purpose” in the first level of the Applied English Center at the University of Kansas.
- Managed all aspects of teaching, including development of curriculum and materials, grading, student-teacher conferences and proficiency test preparation.
- Teaching strategies were designed to accommodate and take advantage of linguistic similarities and differences between the students’ native languages and English.
- Assisted in administering and scoring the proficiency tests at the beginning and end of each semester.
Student Assistant and Tutor 2011-2012
- Assisted instructors who are teaching academic English to international students with the Applied English Center at the University of Kansas.
- Attended English classes with students, lead small group discussions and aid in semantic, phonetic and syntactic development of students.
- Conducted weekly individual tutorial sessions in the areas of speaking, listening, grammar and
Spanish Instructor 2011-2012
- Taught three courses in Spanish one evening a week for the City of Lawrence Parks & Recreation Department
- Taught a wide range of age groups including children aged 3-5, children aged 6-12 and adults 16 and older.
- Developed curriculum and materials for each course.
Graduate Teaching Assistant–Linguistics 110: Language & Mind 2009-2011
- Taught four weekly discussion sections which include exploring the basics of linguistics in addition to providing supplemental materials to students and providing one-on-one interaction in a smaller group environment.
- Aided in the administering and grading of exams, as well as the maintenance of a Blackboard site for the course.